In June Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf claimed that Liverpool's interest in Blind is 'concrete', and revealed that Reds held transfer talks with Ajax Director of Football Marc Overmars.
According to Italian newspaper TuttoSport today:
* Barcelona, Manchester United, Borussia Dortmund and LFC are all in the race to sign Blind.
* Ajax want €20m for the Dutch defender.
Blind put in some good performances for Holland during the World Cup, and contributed one goal and three assists as Louis Van Gaal's team made it to the semi-finals. Some info about Blind:
* 2010-2014: Winner of four league titles in a row with Ajax.
* 2013: Ajax Player of the Year.
* 2014: Named Dutch Player of the Year.
* 140 apps for Ajax since 2010.
* 13 apps for the Dutch national team.
* Can play left back, or defensive midfield.
After witnessing Holland's memorable annihilation of Spain, Arsenal legend Thierry Henry raved:
"The Dutch owned it. That was the final we wanted to see four years ago and the man of the match was Blind. The way he played - he did it all to a tee. Whatever van Gaal asked him to do, he did more."
Alan Shearer added:
"Daley Blind down that wing [was] absolutely brilliant. I have never seen that Spain back four pulled around as much as they were."
The footballing education received by young players at Ajax is amongst the best in the world, so Blind certainly has the pedigree. He also has experience of winning trophies, and four league titles in a row ensures that he'll have a strong winning mentality.
€20m is a bit steep, but it's infinitely preferable (IMO) to £18m+ on Alberto Moreno, a player who doesn't have Blind's domestic or international experience.
Van Gaal must surely have the advantage here, though. He knows Blind, and if it comes to a straight choice between Liverpool and Manchester United, it's likely he'll choose Old Trafford.
Author: Jaimie K