28 Apr 2015

Rodgers confirms: 'Sensational' attacker and £12m 'warrior' are 'in talks' with Liverpool over signing new contracts

After months of uncertainty, Jordan Henderson recently signed a new 5-year deal with Liverpool, and Reds boss Brendan Rodgers has today confirmed that two more important Reds' stars are close to committing their futures to the club.

When asked about the futures of Martin Skrtel and Jordon Ibe in nn his pre-Hull press conference on Monday, Rodgers told reporters:

"No more news on that, but both are still in talks with the club".

Wolfsburg are allegedly interested in signing £12m-rated Skrtel, but when asked last week about his future, the defender refuted suggestions that he's set to leave Anfield. He told reporters:

“I am not leaving anywhere. Not to Wolfsburg nor to Naples.”

Skrtel’s agent, Karol Csonto, also claimed that the Wolfsburg story is nonsense:

“The only offer which on Martin Skrtel’s table right now is the extension of his contract from Liverpool. We will be finalising it soon. It is not true that he has some offer from [Wolfsburg]”

With the ongoing loss of real experience at Anfield, signing up Skrtel is arguably a priority for Liverpool. When Gerrard leaves next month, the Slovakian 'warrior' will become most experienced player in the Reds' squad, and that will be vital next season.

Ibe, though, is a different story. His current contract expires in 2017, so where's the compelling need to sign him up to a new deal? The young attacker has done fairly well for Liverpool, but once again, LFC are guilty of rewarding a player before he's even achieved anything.

Ibe - predictable hailed as 'sensational' by Rodgers - will obviously sign a new contract; unlike Sterling, he doesn't (yet) have a strong bargaining position, but Rodgers is following the same sycophantic template, and it won't be long before Ibe's ego is inflated by Rodgers' incessant (and irresponsible) overpraise.

Author: