6 Oct 2016

Anfield Update: 'Exceptional' €31m striker responds to Liverpool transfer rumours; admits he 'wants to play' more

Juventus are currently linked with a January move for Liverpool striker Divock Origi, but is there any truth to this particular rumour?

Earlier this week, Calciomercato claimed:

* Juve are interested in signing Divock Origi during the January transfer window.

* Origi is Juve's 'number one target' to replace Mario Mandzukic.

When asked on Wednesday about the Juve rumour, Origi told Het Laatste Nieuws:

"I've never heard that one. It’s just a rumour. I’m fully focused on Liverpool. Klopp believes in me and says I have to be patient".

On the subject of being a bit-part player this season, Origi added:

"I want to play more, but the team is winning, and you don't change a winning team. It won't be easy, but I'll do what I can. I work a lot and I'm convinced it will pay off".

In theory, with Daniel Sturridge misfiring, and Danny Ings relegated to the U23s, it should be easier for Origi to stake his place in the first team, but give the great form this season of the club's attacking midfielders, it hasn't worked out that way.

Origi will get his chance, though. One of either Coutinho, Sturridge, or Firmino will (inevitably) get injured before the end of the year, and Sadio Mane will be gone for a month in January, so there should be opportunities to play.

If not, then Origi should seriously think about moving on. At his age, he needs to be playing regular football.

* €31m-rated (CIES Football Observatory). Described as 'exceptional' by Owen Hargreaves.


Post a Comment